Thursday, June 21, 2007

What's In a Color?

If you haven’t noticed, my blog has somewhat of a theme. I have this attachment to the color red. I absolutely love it. It may have to do with the fact that my hair is red. But when I was younger I despised my red hair. I hated the attention it brought me. I hated being called carrot top, red, flames, ginger, ect. I hated it when strangers would comment on how beautiful my hair was. I know this sounds like a very nice thing but I was so shy that I hated anyone drawing attention to me. I hated that everyone automatically assumed that I had this horrible temper just because of the color of my hair. Even though it might have been true, who are they to assume that just because of my hair?

I hated the pale skin that accompanies my hair. I fought the sunscreen all through my childhood, hoping that my freckles would eventually blend into a tan. That never did happen, and slowly over the years I have accepted the fact that I am white and will always be that way.

Through my childhood, I looked to cool redheads that I could look up to. My favorites were Anne Shirley (of Anne of Green Gables), Ariel (also known as the little mermaid) and then Gossamer (a little known Looney Toons character). From Anne I grew love of reading and learned a bit of stubbornness.



From Ariel I learned my love of the water and learned to be a bit of a hopeless romantic. Ariel was so cool that I even had a “Little Mermaid” themed birthday party when I was 6.



Gossamer; however, is probably my favorite redhead of all time. For those of you who don’t know Gossamer, he is a Looney Toons character that only appeared in 3 cartoons with Bugs Bunny.



I don’t know why I formed this attachment to such a strange cartoon. Maybe it was because I felt a bond with him that he was misunderstood and people just assumed that he had this horrible temper just because of the red hair. I also looked up the definition of the word gossamer. Gossamer is defined as something light, thin insubstantial or delicate. This reassured me that everyone really just had Gossamer all wrong. I loved this cartoon character so much that I named my puppy after him. Gossamer gave me hope that someone realized that I was just misunderstood and that I wasn’t just the stereotype of my hair. All these redheaded roll models helped me accept and even start to love my hair.

My love for the color red increased while my acceptance of my hair increased, but that wasn’t the extent of it all. When my papa so generously gave me my first car, it just so happened that it was red. I felt so cool in that car. So my love for the color increased exponentially, simply because that car and that color made me feel so powerful. Also as I got older, I grew out of my tom-boyishness and started to become a little more girly, but not a lot. And as this new girly-girl that I had become, the color red represented love. Red roses, a red heart, ruby red lips! Who doesn’t like those things? Some of the best things in the world are red.

So that is why by blog is red. Hopefully the color will somehow increase the cool factor of it. Or at very least let everyone know how much of a dork I am about a silly color.

No comments: